MAUI POLITICAL TRACKER
Local Issue Tracker: Governance Issues
Governance Issues Overview
Governance issues encompass the ways that our governments are structured and how they function. Government structures are not static and unchanging, but evolve based on needs of the time and place.
Among the governance issues that are being explored in Maui County are:
- adopting a professional County Manager form of government, as opposed to a 'strong mayor' system. The County Manager would be responsible for the daily operations of government, including hiring department heads.
- adopting District-Level Voting for the County Council, rather than at-large voting.
- measures to facilitate citizen ballot initiatives;
- changes to the County Charter, such as recognizing the rights of nature, and limiting the rights of corporations.
For a more detailed overview of Governance issues see the Local Issues section of the website. The Political Tracker section provides a means for citizens to actively monitor governance issues, so that positive change can be made. Structural changes to government are most likely to arise from citizen engagement.
Toward True Democracy
Are you concerned about the state of political affairs at the local level and beyond? Are you drawn to do something about it? The Local Political Tracker is a collaborative tool for informing ourselves and each other, and reclaiming the democratic process. By monitoring key local issues and elected officials we can promote more transparent, accountable, and effective governance. True democracy requires more than just voting. It depends on an active and informed citizenry, and each one of us can do our part.
The Political Tracker concept is simple: as a volunteer you agree to monitor, or "adopt" one or more local issues, government bodies, or elected officials. You gather information, either by attending meetings, reviewing meeting minutes or video footage available online, summarizing news articles, or conducting interviews. You then post your notes via the Data Entry form below.
TRACKER DATA ENTRY FORM (for registered Tracker volunteers)
To post information to the Political Tracker one needs to first complete the volunteer registration process:
- Register and log in to the Evolution-Local website.
- Read and agree to the Political Tracker Volunteer Ethics Agreement
- Complete and submit the Political Tracker Volunteer Form.
- Wait for email notification that your Volunteer status has been activated.
LOCAL GOVERNANCE ISSUES POSTS
Listed below are local Political Tracker posts -- notes collected and entered by community volunteers. Posts are arranged chronologically, with the most recent post on top. Clicking on the purple post title will open the post in a separate window, and from there any registered site user may comment on the post. The Tracker is meant to provide factual information, and sources can include news articles, meeting minutes, interviews with experts and officials, etc. The Community Forum section of the website provides a space for open discussion on issues.
Campaign contribution database
Info on 2006-2016 campaign contributions, with a spreadsheet that can downloaded.
Governance Tracker test post
Gov test post