Evolution-Local PunaA Community Hub for Activating our Evolutionary Potential
Evolution-Local Puna is dedicated to the recovery, renewal and rebirth of Puna. We seek to pull together the various communities that constitute Puna: to give them a space to share their stories, to learn from each other, to ask questions and find solutions. This is a space where we can connect, reflect, organize, and activate, working together to re-inhabit this living place we share.
Welcome to Evolution-Local Puna
Puna is a wayshower!
We believe the collective wisdom of Puna can move us forward from the challenges of the 2018 lava flow and the on-going ecological, social and economic unraveling that we now face.
We can find inspiration to move forward through connection and activating our residents to play a leadership role in their personal and community lives.
We are guided by the wisdom of the ancestors, our elders, our men and women, and our youth.
Together we can paddle with strength, and make this work a noble enterprise.
We can find inspiration in the 13.8 billion year Epic of Evolution, which shows the universe and Earth as highly creative. We are a living and breathing manifestation of that creativity.
This website seeks to galvanize our individual and collective will to transform Puna into a thriving region and allow us to serve as an example for other communities on this collective journey of healing and renewal.
This is the Great Work of our Age, a.k.a the Great Turning, or the Great Transition. It will involve reducing our consumption, redistributing wealth and power, treating the planet and the places we inhabit less like a mine, and more like the irreplaceable and precious garden that we depend on.
Here in Puna we already have a growing movement in support of local food security, 100% renewable energy, clean water, air, and soil, healthy forests and reefs, true local democracy, and a sustainable and just future.
We have many people who value inner growth and personal development, people who love the `aina and their ohana, and who are willing to contribute their time and energy to the common good.
What kind of evolutionary culture can we create here? How can we “reinhabit” the island of Hawaii in ways that restore and protect local nature while providing for everyone’s needs for healthy food, shelter, and energy? For starters we might honor and learn from the values and knowledge of the native Hawaiian culture that practiced self-sufficiency for a millennium before Europeans arrived. How can those values be applied to our current situation?
The Evolution-Local network of websites aims to contribute to the Great Work of our Age by serving as a hub for our individual and collective evolution. Evolution-Local Puna is one of the pilot sites in the network and is a community resource where together we can:
- Learn from each other by discussing important local issues on the Community Forum.
- Keep informed on the current events happening in Puna on the Calendar and Local News.
- Buy local and support your community as well as spreading the word about your talents, services or products.
- Develop an “evolutionary consciousness” and reevaluate our individual and shared priorities.
- Help take back the democratic process using the Local Political Tracker.
- Explore and learn about the rich cultural and natural resources of Puna.
- Activate! Plug in and get involved in some aspect of Puna's growing movement for a healthy and just future.
- Connect more deeply with local nature and increase our ecological literacy with the Local Nature Almanac. Share experiences and observations in the Community Nature Journal.
- Develop a shared vision for our future and work toward it.
If it is your first time here: Check out these pieces, or just start exploring the sections on the menu above.
The website is brand new, and content will be increasing every week. The site is here to be used, so dive in, and let’s create our future together. Mahalo.