MAUI POLITICAL TRACKER
Maui COUNTY Council -- Budget and Finance Committee
Important decisions are made within the County Council's Budget and Finance Committee. This is where resources are allocated and priorities for the coming year are decided upon, yet often the process happens with little community oversight or input. This section of the website provides a space for community members to document activities of the Budget and Finance Committee by entering information into the form below. By monitoring key local issues and elected officials we can promote a more transparent, accountable, and effective local government.
Committee Roles and Duties
Budget and Finance Committee duties include reviewing and considering:
- Financial and performance audits.
- Budget, capital program, bond authorizations, intergovernmental agreements with a financial impact on the annual budget, including intergovernmental loans, and the finance component of all county grants.
- Taxes, rates, fees, and assessments for inclusion in the budget, except that revenue ordinances may also be considered by other standing committees.
- Revisions and updates to real property tax ordinances.
- Operations of the Department of Finance; the Department of Personnel Services, including salaries and collective bargaining cost items; and the Community Development Block Grant program.
- Appointment of the County Auditor for a term as specified in the Revised Charter of the County of Maui (1983), as amended; review and comment upon the annual Audit Plan issued by the Office of the County Auditor; and review of audit findings and recommendations set forth in written reports of the County Auditor.
Committee Meeting Schedule
Budget and Finance Committee meetings are normally held in the Council Chamber at 9:00 AM on the Monday prior to the first and third Friday of each month; however, the schedule is subject to change. The Committee may also periodically schedule site inspections.
Links to agendas and videos from select Committee meetings can be accessed here, and the 2017 calendar can be accessed here.
Info on how to testify (in written or oral form) is located here. Also included is advice on how to provide effective testimony.
You can receive automated text or email notifications of upcoming meetings by registering on the County website here.
Committee Members and Contact Info
All Council members are voting members of this committee. Riki Hokama is the Chair and Mike White is the Vice-Chair.
Phone: (808) 270-7838
Fax: (808) 270-7686
Links to Committee Documents
View available agendas, minutes, committee reports, list of matters, and items of interest for the Budget and Finance Committee.
Links to agendas and videos from select Committee meetings can be accessed here.
The Performance Maui County website can be accessed here. It provides a detailed overview of County Government Income and Spending, including "checkbook" ledgers with different vendors.
Subscribe To Notifications: Budget & Finance Committee Agendas and Meeting Notices
For additional Budget and Finance info see the County Finance Department here.
TRACKER DATA ENTRY FORM (for registered Tracker volunteers)
To post information to the Political Tracker one needs to first complete the volunteer registration process:
- Register and log in to the Evolution-Local website.
- Read and agree to the Political Tracker Volunteer Ethics Agreement
- Complete and submit the Political Tracker Volunteer Form.
- Wait for email notification that your Volunteer status has been activated.
BUDGET AND FINANCE COMMITTEE TRACKER POSTS
Sample Committee Tracker Post
Tracker posts might provide:
- a summary of topics discussed at a recent Committee Meeting
- links to more information on a particular agenda item
- notes on different committee members' positions on the issues
- questions or issues that need to be followed up on
Volunteers are encouraged to use the tracker to record factual information: What happened. Who said what. What was debated and decided on. What other opinions or suggestions were shared but not acted on, etc.
The Community Forum section of the website is a dedicated place for site users' opinions to be expressed.